Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A very tiring week

Last week I was a first grade teacher. I don't know how I got through, but I did. I have been subbing here and there for the last 6 weeks, but really only one day a week. The only reason I even have gone that many times is that I found a friend from high school on Facebook. After chatting with her back and forth, I found that she is a teacher here in Alpine. I felt a little dumb, but I sent her an email telling her I was registered with the district to substitute teach. She thought that was great and would keep me in mind if she ever needed a sub.

About two weeks later, Ms. Jones gave my number to the teacher next door to her. That was the start of my subbing. This teacher, Mrs. Bjornberg, is pregnant and needed a teacher while she had a doctors appointment. She was so organized. (I think I have blogged about this already).

Anyway - Ms. Jones then needed me to come in some days. While I was there, Mrs. Bjornberg asked if I would be interested in subbing for her class the week before Christmas break. She was due to have her baby on the 22nd of December, but it looked like the baby was going to come earlier than that. I told her I would be happy to sub for her. In the back of my mind, there was a little voice YELLING at me - - WHAT ARE YOU DOING??????? A WHOLE WEEK?????

I did it. I survived and the students did too. I actually had a lot of fun. The first day I went in early so I could read through her plans. The first item was the explanation of the PARENT CHRISTMAS GIFT which turned out to be a wood ornament that the students got to paint. WHAT??? I WILL HAVE TO PAINT WITH 1ST GRADERS????

This is not my cup of tea. I have a hard time painting with my own kids. So much so that I don't ever let them do it.

Luckily, Mrs. Bjornberg has an AWESOME assistant that comes in the mornings to help with things the students are doing. She pulled the kids back a few at a time and had all 28 students done in two days. It was great. I never had to get close to the mess, and she helped them keep the paint only on the ornament.

The other thing this class did was share different traditions their families have. Each day two to four parents would come in and share with the students a family tradition. Many were the same, but I learned about some new ones. The one I thought would be fun to do with my family is the white elephant game. Make sure to have a gift for everyone, then while reading 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, pass the presents around in a circle. You will know when it is time to pass the present every time you hear the word THE. Read that poem sometime - - there are a lot of THEs.

I was very thankful to have a good group of kids. For the most part. There were a few I wished would be swept off to their Disneyland or cruise vacations a few days early. But I had a good time. And have already talked to Ms. Jones about being in her class for a week in January when she gets married.

I didn't think I would like subbing, but it is working. I am always nervous during the drive there in the mornings, but I am excited and happy when I am there.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Way to go Liz! You are so brave!

Nathan said...

Ooops! That was Becky.

Kathy said...

That's great Liz. You are making a name for yourself as a most reliable sub - being so good at what you do you're going to get called in more and more. A blessing and a curse ;-p