Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Another Christmas Memory

Most of my childhood memories of Christmas have something to do with West Yellowstone, MT and snowmobiling. Since I was little, my dad worked for the Boy Scouts of America for the Great Salt Lake counsel. Every year during the Christmas break, groups of scouts would go to West Yellowstone to snowmobile. We were lucky enough to join my dad during some of these trips.

I don't remember a lot of details - - just bits and pieces. I remember one trip where my dad went up ahead of us and so we took the bus. I remember seeing cars stuck on the side of the roads along the way.

Another (could be the same - I don't know) we got tee shirts for night shirts. I remember wearing the shirts and jumping on the beds at the motel with the babysitter.

Just before I turned 8, our family moved up to West Yellowstone. Our parents ran the Big Western Pine Motel. The Motel is still there, but it has a different name now. I think I have more summer memories than winter after we moved there. But I am pretty sure we went snowmobiling every Christmas day (or the day after). What a great time we had.

One Christmas Aunts and Uncles and cousins came to spend Christmas with us. I remember that one because my sisters and I all got a camera for Christmas. We must have gone through 10 rolls of 110 film while they were all there. Not many of my pictures are in focus or even centered. But we sure had a good time.

When it was time for everyone to go home, we three sisters got to go home with the Wrights. That was fun. Then Uncle Ed and Aunt Mary brought us home. At least that is how I remember it.

2 comments:

Becky said...

What a great post! All those memories! I remember riding the bus but I had no idea why we did that! I think we all got a new wallet at the beginning of the trip. The wallets were shinny vinyl, like patten leather and they stayed shut with a magnet. Mine was pink and it had a little notepad and little pen inside. I think Julie's was yellow. Anyway, I left mine on the bus and I was so sad.

I also TOTALLY remember that Christmas all our cousins came to West! We all took turns playing Load Runner in Dad's office.

AND I remember going home with the Wrights. Our Aunts wanted to help us clean our room before we left and we were like, "Why?" and kept telling them we would clean it when we got back.

Aunt Jan bought us a new outfit, mine was a light green cute sweat suit with a plastic picture on the front. And we got hair cuts. After the hair cuts we played "beauty palor" in the Wrights bathroom and even used the curling iron to do Jason's hair!!! AND we played store with Nathan because he got a little cash register for Christmas. A lot of the things we bought were books, notebooks and stuffed animals. AND we played laser tag because they got a bunch of lazer tag equiptment for Christmas. SO SO SO FUN MEMORIES.

Merry Christmas Eve! I love you!

Kathy said...

Very fun post! I have West Yellowstone memories too. I'll have to post a picture of the Alger sisters in the back of Greg's truck.