Friday, October 9, 2009

Rocking my baked baby

Today Kelsey and I had the job of waiting for the handyman/plumber to come look at the water heater. We knew that he was scheduled to arrive at 1 PM, so to make sure we would not miss him, we came upstairs to the kitchen to wait. The timing was perfect for lunch, fix the water heater, take a nap.

At 2:30 he still had not arrived.

To pass the time, we watched TV, peeled apples on the Apple-core-peeler, made apple crisp, and sat in the rocking chair and sang songs.

At one point she was disgusted by a fly on the wall. Which made me sing a great camp favorite - "Here we sit like flies on the potty seat, flies on the potty-seat, flies on the potty seat..." That is as far as I got since she didn't like that I was singing about a potty seat.

Then we sang "If you're happy and you know it." "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeep" and "We are a happy family". Then she got quite and snuggled into my lap. This made me think of "Rock-a-bye Baby". She moved her self to be cradled in my arms. She laid there looking at me, batting her eyes, with a soft smile on her face. As though all in the world had stopped.

When the song was over she said, "Sing the other baby song."

Mom: What baby song?

Kelsey: The one where you bake the baby.

I guess we need to work on "Pat-a-Cake" a little bit more since it is the cake we bake - - not the baby.

6 comments:

Julie J. said...

HAHAHAHA!

Kathy said...

I second that HAHAHAHA!

Very cute. Did the guy every get there? How is it that they always come the last minute of the last hour in the time slot they give you?

Danila said...

How awesome! Thanks to the lateness of the repairman. I love these unexpected moments with our kids, they are truly priceless.

Becky said...

Cute! I too love those priceless, unexpected moments! I'm glad you shared that one! Precious and oh so cute!

Emily said...

isn't she talking about "pat-a-cake"? because i do speak toddler!

Emily said...

sorry, i guess i didn't read the whole post before commenting... "Hi! I'm an idiot!"