Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A new week

My week can only get better. Last week, Ohtee, KeeKee and I were really sick. Ohtee had a fever starting last Sunday that continued until Thursday when he finally went back to school. KeeKee’s fever seemed to just keep getting worse. She started Sunday also but with throwing up. After many days of her not getting better but seeming to get worse, she would not let me take her temp. under her tongue and I don’t have a rectal thermometer, I went and bought an ear thermometer. This was Friday night. Her temp was over 103 and that was not the hottest she has been all week. I was even giving her Motrin and it didn’t seem to be helping. Little did we know that her fever was down with the Motrin, just not down enough. Friday about 10 pm, all of a sudden she seemed fine. So Saturday morning she still seemed fine. Then again, all of a sudden her fever spiked over 103 again, so I took her to Urgent Care. They looked in her ears and throat and found no reason for the fever. Then they took a chest x-ray to see if she had pneumonia but her lungs were clear. That was all that Urgent Care could do for her so they sent us to the Emergency Room downtown. There we actually got in rather quickly, but then waited a long time in the little curtained room. KeeKee actually did OK for all the DRs that looked at her. They said since they couldn’t see anything wrong with her, they would do a catheter to get a pee sample to check for an infection. Sure enough, she has a “ragger” of a Urinary tract infection. They gave her Augmenton and told us to give her Motrin and Tylenol every 2-3 hours alternating to keep the fever down so she would be more comfortable. She is a very angry sick person. At times for no apparent reason she will sit up and scream and yell at me. I don’t know what to do for her. I let her scream and then I try to give her a love. Sometimes that works. Mostly she screams until she falls asleep. I am hoping tomorrow will be better as the medicine starts to do its job. I am feeling better. All the running around on Saturday sure made me tired after being sick all week. She and I stayed home from church and slept most of the day. That was quite peaceful. I just wish she would have done the same today. We saw the regular DR today and she said that KeeKee being cranky is most likely a sign that she is getting better rather than the lethargic baby she was last week. I will be glad when we are all better and can get on with daily life without all the tears. I also think she will be happier when she starts eating again. She has not eaten much of anything except milk at night (the only time she will have it) and juice in her bottle.

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

I am feeling super sorry for you and your sick family. We escaped the nastiness this winter/spring, but I am still knocking on wood that it stays that way.

Congrats on starting school! I had so much fun, so, so, so much fun. You will love it. It will be stressful, but there is something to be said for life experience trumping book smarts.