Monday, November 16, 2009

Curious busy children

I would like to think that my children are smart, thinking children. At least they usually are. The end of last week has caused me to reevaluate this thinking. 1st child along with the help of 3rd child decided to carve a small, squishy pumpkin. 3rd child was in charge if getting the knife and came back with box cutter. 1st child proceeded to carve the pumpkin but ended up carving her thumb instead. UUUUGGGGG!!!

Very calmly both children came upstairs to tell me what didn't happen. 3rd child began the story by telling me they were not carving a pumpkin. This statement was made before I knew anything was going on. 3rd child will need to work on information delivery.

While 1st child was rinsing her thumb, she then passed out. Thankfully, 2nd child was helping in the kitchen and broke 1st child's fall with her foot.

After gaining control of myself (because I was really mad!), I looked at the thumb and decided it needed stitches. So to the ER we went, because of course this was Friday night at 6 pm and I had not looked up Urgent Cares covered by our insurance.

I am grateful to be in AF. We went to the ER and before I could get the paperwork filled out, we were all ready being seen by the triage nurse. Then less than 2 minutes of sitting in the waiting room, we were taken back to see the doctor. There was no wait there either. The doctor came right in, started sticking the thumb with numbing juice, cleaned the wound, and then stitched it right up. We were out of there in about an hour. 1st child cut pretty deep, but did not hit anything that would affect the use of her thumb. She ended up with four large stitches on the outside and none on the inside. We are grateful for that.

Then Saturday afternoon, after playing in the new snow. The kids were making paper snowflakes (because the real ones were not enough). While cutting the paper, 2nd child snipped her finger. She did not need stitches, but it sure hurt.

Both 1st child and 3rd child vowed to never do that again and 2nd child said she would be more careful. I really hope they mean it!