Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spring Break - Day 3

That girl did not want to smile.
Today was another great day in San Diego. We went to Old Town San Diego. This is a 6 block section of San Diego that is now a State Park. It was fun for the parents and big kids, but Kelsey thought she was going to die if she had to walk one more step during the 50 minute tour. She must have woke up too early, because she was a stinker this morning until we got to the Candle Shop. Then each child got to dip a candle. They started with a white base, then dipped it into different colors. They turned out very rainbowy.
The flash makes them look like glow sticks.





That gun was heavy!

After the state park, we walked over to the Mormon Battalion museum. That was SO fun! It was a great mix of things I love, church and Harry Potter. OK, OK, only because the photos moved and spoke to us. There is a great story shared in a very inventive way. Kelsey was also very happy once the photos started talking to her.
At one point during the tour, Austin was asked to put on the gear the men of the Mormon Battalion wore. These men were offered $42 as a clothing allowance since they were not given uniforms. They decided to send the money back to their families and just wear the clothing they already had. Austin had fun putting those things on. After the tour and presentation, there was an area where the kids could build with bricks, scrub laundry, pump water, and pan for gold. I would go back again anytime.                                                                    



      


Yes, Jason and I were there, too.
Then it was time for lunch. We went to the Coyote Cafe. It was a Mexican food restaurant. Everyone loved their food except for me. I ordered a chili rellano, it was very bland. I was hoping for some spice. But my beef taco was good and Allynn's tamale was really good. One highlight was the entertainment with our lunch. Two guys and their guitars serenaded us with La Cookaracha. It was fun and they earned $2 from us. (We are on vacation.)

After lunch we started back to the hotel when Miss K fell asleep, so we used that quiet time to drive back along the coast. Beautiful houses and coastal views.

I am annoyed that the pictures didn't go where I wanted them to go, but now it is time for bed. Tomorrow we are headed to the Birch Aquarium.

2 comments:

Peanuts Mom said...

It looks like all of you are having a blast! Keep the pictures and stories coming, that way I feel like I'm on vacation too.

Becky said...

I MY GOODNESS! Could you guys BE having any more fun!?! I think not!

Like mom, I am SO jealous and wish I was there!

Keep the fun and pictures coming!