Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Vacations

Our family just returned from a quick weekend to Disneyland. We had a great time and are exhausted. This trip got me thinking about memorable vacations I had growing up and wondering if I am creating these same memories with my children.
Three trips that stand out in my mind. (My memories of what happened and what really happened may be challenged by other members of my family which occurs often when reminiscing.)
1) Our trip to Oregon where we camped for two weeks down the Oregon and California coast.
I am not sure what makes this trip stand out for me. I remember it being a long trip. I remember one campground we stayed at on a Sunday. I think it stands out to me because my dad went fishing that day. We were in a very wooded sandy area with a dune blocking the ocean. We just had to make a short walk to the ocean. I also remember going to the Redwood forest during this trip and expecting to see Star Wars people on speeder bikes racing through the forest. I also remember the clock my parents bought. It was made out of a slice of redwood tree. That clock hung on our wall for many years. I am not sure if it is hanging in their house still. I will have to check the next time I am there.
2) Our trip with the Wrights to South Dakota.
I don't remember a whole lot about this trip either. I am not sure how old we were. I was over 10 and under 13. We drove to South Dakota through Colorado and went to the Denver Mint. I would like to do that with my children. We then went to Mount Rushmore. The thing I remember most about the trip is the ride home. Somewhere along the way, the axle on the trailer broke and we didn't make it home in time for school after the spring break. I remember the school making such a big deal about missing 6 days of school and not only 5. Now I remember I was 12. This was the first year I was going to be able to go on the Young Women Trip to Salt Lake City. I was going to have to miss another day of school. I remember breaking down in tears when I had to ask Mr. Balber to let me go even though it would mean I would have missed 7 days of school that quarter. We always had problems with the school when it was vacation time.
We lived in West Yellowstone, MT. It is a tourist town. Our parents managed a motel, so we had to be there when other people were on vacation. We always seemed to take a trip in October and April when the motel was slow. I remember Mrs. C did not like this because that meant she had to get our work ready so we could take it with us. I had her two years in a row for 4th and 5th grade. Then Julie had her for 4th grade. So she had to deal with our dad for three years. I don't think she liked him very much.
3) A random trip to Porterville, CA to see Grandma Pat.
This trip happened after we moved to California. Grandpa Alger was living with us. We went down to see his mother, Grandma Pat. I don't remember if it was on the way to see her or if it was on the way home, but the van broke down. If you think about a tow truck, there are 3 seat belts, the driver, middle passenger, and side passenger. Well, there were 7 of us in the van. First the tow truck driver didn't want to take us. He wanted to take our dad and send him back with a rental car or some other way to come get us. It was dark on a two lane highway. That was not going to work. So I remember the driver telling us to lay down a low as we could, even grandpa who was in the front passenger seat. Then he pulled the van up onto the flat bed of the truck. We then rode to the station in the van on the truck. I am sure that was a huge no no. What a memory.
What is your favorite vacation memory?

1 comment:

Julie J. said...

I too remember those trips. But I don't remember the trouble with the school. But maybe I was oblivious. Oh, and I had Mrs. C for fifth grade. Mom rembers the hassel though.