Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lots of fun things

2012 has been busy.

The house we were renting was listed for sale. We worked at being able to buy it. When that didn't look like it was going to happen, we started looking for new places to rent. Our dilemma was that none of our children wanted to change schools. The house listed at the end of November, so we also kind of thought it might not sell until spring or summer. In February, we looked again into buying the house and found out we could make it work on the same day the owners accepted an offer. BUMMER! So we started looking for houses again. There are not many rentals for large families. And we found that the school boundaries are smaller than we thought. We did finally find a place near Julie. That would change the elementary school, but not the Jr. high or the high school. We looked at the place a couple of times and filled out an application, and chose a move in date, but it just didn't feel right. We kept looking for other places, too. Then my mom called and invited us to move back in with her. I know living with your parents as married adults is not the ideal life we choose for ourselves, but this was the answer to my prayers!! Thank you, thank you mom for wanting your daughter, her husband, and four children to move in with you!! In all the times we have moved, this was the first move I did not want to make, so we took mom and dad up on their offer and have moved back in with them. This keeps the schools the same and our ward. We have a great ward.

OK so...In January, Allynn and her parents were called in to chat with the bishop. He called her to sing in the General Young Women's Choir in March. What a great opportunity. I was bawling as he explained the details. All I could think of were the experiences I had had with 15th ward youth choir and stake youth choirs. And now my daughter was going to have some of the same experiences. She will remember those songs forever. She was not the only girl, three stakes in American Fork were asked to participate. The best part were the rehearsals. The director, Merrilee Webb, taught the gospel more than she taught music. She told the girls to listen to their practice CDs everyday. She wanted them to internalize the music and the words. The girls were asked to diligently pray and read their scriptures daily and to attend the temple to do baptisms as often as they could before the broadcast day. We are so blessed to have a temple only 5 minutes away. As a bonus the leaders and girls that were not in the choir and all the mothers got tickets to the Conference Center for the broadcast. I also got to bring Sydney and Jason's mom. This was Sydney's first young women activity. (I can't believe she turns 12 this year.) Allynn and the other choir girls boarded the buses to Salt Lake at 11:30 am Saturday, March 24 and had great experiences of devotionals, practice, snacks and getting ready. Sydney, Mema, and I went to lunch at the Lion House, toured around Temple Square, and sitting in the Conference Center. After we got some dinner at Applebees. What a great day!!!!

Our next adventure is Spring Break. San Diego with the Wells Family. Only 3 more bedtimes. Kelsey has been wanting to pack her suit case for a week now. I am right there with her.

When we get back from Spring Break, I will be taking a long term sub job for my cousin while she has a baby. I am looking forward to that and am very nervous about it, too. Just another adventure. She is due the middle of April. So once the baby comes, I will then finish the school year in her 3rd grade class. I have subbed for her several time throughout the year, so I know the kids in her class. It will be fun (that's what I keep telling myself, then it will be).

3 comments:

justging said...

Love it. What a wonderful spiritual experience for Allynn. I wish my kids had the same available to them here. Maybe a miracle will happen when Hawley is a little older and someone moves into our ward and does for her what Christy did for us. I am so grateful for those experiences we had. And this is a good reminder of them. Thanks Liz! Have fun in Cali!

Becky said...

Great update! I didn't watch the whole broadcast but Monday after I watched all the musical numbers online and found Allynn a couple of times. What a great and wonderful experience.

I can't believe Sydney is going to be 12!!! What the heck!?!?

I miss you Liz and I love you! Hope you have a BLAST in San Diego!

The Yuan Fam said...

Merrilee Webb was my choir teacher at BYU-Hawaii!! I love her!!! There is a spirit that comes with music, but she really knows how to help each singer fully enjoy and understand how the music can touch people. What a crazy couple of months for you!! We, too, will be moving in with parents come July, once Arthur graduates and I'll admit, it's the best thing for some people during certain times in life. Just like you, we couldn't have asked for better timing! Love ya Liz!! Hope to see you soon!!