Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I survived!!

I managed to make it through the first day of subbing. I am pretty pleased with myself. I did not sleep very well last night, for fear that I would miss the alarm go off at 6:00 AM. When 6 finally came, I was worried about getting the door and too the school on time and with a lunch. I just kept moving. I am sure by this time my adrenaline kicked in.

Kelsey got up with no problem and was excited to go to Julie's. Grandma was kind enough to lend Kelsey her High School Musical lunch bag. Kelsey took carrots, cantaloupe, a banana, and fruit snacks with her. I took a sandwich, some carrots, and celery with peanut butter.

After dropping off Ms. K. I headed over to the school. I got there with plenty of time to read over the lesson plan left by the teacher. This was the perfect class to be my first time! Not because the kids were good, but because the teacher was great!! She left the best lesson plan. She knew exactly how long everything would last. She knew the attention span of her class really well! The day just kept moving from one thing to the next.

Now for the students - there was one that I could have done without, but he was not kick out of the room horrible. In the first part of the day he was wiggly. After lunch, he came to class with something to say about everything. He was quite noisy. I was glad the tasks they were working on did not require complete silence.

I think I did an OK job. There was one moment of chaos (I felt) when it was time to transition into math and I didn't understand the game I was teaching them. It took me and extra minute to get the hang of it and then everything went very smoothly.

By the time the day was over, I feel I had a good stride going and felt I could do it again. Especially for that class. Well, for that teacher.

My adrenaline petered out while I was in the middle of making dinner. Once I sat to eat, I was not sure I would be able to get up from the table. I have managed to make it downstairs and am ready for bed. It was a good day.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

woo hoo - I'm so glad it was a good experience! Way to go, Teach!

Becky said...

Good Job Liz! I'm proud of you!