Monday, December 29, 2008

A release for Christmas

Now that it is official, I guess I can blog about it.

Just before Christmas, I was released as the Primary President in our South Meadows ward. I served in that calling for two years. That is two primary programs, seven counselors and/or secretaries, about 24 sharing times, 48 Sunday morning meetings, too many to count teachers, and even more Cub Scout leaders.

For as busy as I was, it was a great calling. Before this opportunity, I had been a primary teacher and a primary secretary, and was sure that was the extent of primary I would be able to handle. I have said this before, and I am sure it is why I was called, but I am not the biggest fan of other people's children.

It is amazing how much love I have for the children in our ward. Even when they are asking me questions that have absolutely nothing to do with the lesson. I found many times where they knew more than me. And then there were some children that wanted to know the deep doctrine that only one answer ever worked to appease their appetite for knowledge, and that was, "Go ask your dad".

I must admit the let down when I was told I would be released. I started wondering what I had done wrong, or what opportunity of service I had missed. The more I thought about it, the more wrapped up in myself I got. I was not given a new calling right away - in fact, President Chamberlain called Saturday night and asked to see both Jason and I before church. I thought for sure I would be getting a new stake calling. But it was Jason who got the new calling. He is now the Assistant Ward Clerk over membership. This only compounded the heavy feelings I had already been having.

Then as I was being released with a vote of thanks, the impression came to me that it was now my opportunity to work on myself and my family. I will be able to continue my school work and watch children during the week without feeling like I am forgetting to do something for Primary.

The Lord truly knows each of us and the things we are capable of accomplishing in our lives. I am grateful for the experience of working in Primary, but will miss the sisters I worked with the most!! I look forward to the next calling I receive, no matter how scary it may feel in the beginning. Or I could just go to Sunday School and Relief Society for a while and participate in the lessons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A STAR! I can't wait to sit next to you in RS!!