Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wasting Time

Here I am again, doing anything and everything other than working on the research paper for my class. Today's assignment is to create a thesis statement for my paper and answer the following question: How do you plan to support your thesis with compelling arguments and counterarguments?--- I DON"T KNOW!!--- Somehow I don't think that answer will get me very far. I thought by choosing the topic The Changing Family: definitions of what a family is and how it has changed over time, I would find what I needed and be able to write away. Well, I have or should I say, my mom has (what would I do without her?!), found tons of information that has something to do with families. Now I have to pull it together and write about it. I did read one particular article that talks about how the ideal family, natural family, nuclear family of Father, Mother & children with Father working and Mother caring for the children is kind of a myth. I have found that very interesting and think that is what I want to focus my paper on. Now I just have to write about it. The hard part will be not making it up and filling it full of just my opinion. I have to have quotes, and summaries, and paraphrasing to back up and support my thesis. My children are not happy about this paper because we can't really go do anything - at least not this week. Not only do I have to come up with the thesis statement, but this week is what is called a work week, so I also had to read an article assigned by the teacher and had to find the thesis statement in it, then post my opinion about it (with support) and let the class make comments about it. This is the online discussion. After I have posted my response, I will then have to participate in the discussion and add 2 substantial posts on 3 of 7 days. Anyway - I am blogging instead.

4 comments:

Becky said...

LIZ! GET BACK TO WORK!

CM Stephensen said...

yeah... I'd rather be blogging instead.

Jeanna said...

In my humble opinion, procrastination is not always a bad thing. Sometimes you just have to take a break, get the assignment out of your head, and then go back to it. You know your deadlines, and you will get the job done. So when you are taking a break, enjoy it and get all the homework stuff out of your head for a while.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
This is so good for you! It is making you smarter and stronger! I don't blame you for procrastinating though! I remember my apartment was always really clean when I was trying to write papers in college because I would "waste time" by finding things to clean instead of working on my paper. And I don't care for cleaning! Keep up the good work!