Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Personal Revelation

Background:

We have been talking about the importance of having a strong work ethic. Our kids don't have a lot of chores and almost never have to do the dishes while we are here in Grandma's house. But the few jobs they do have, do not get done regularly. So, last night for FHE, The Dad shared a website with us call My Job Chart (http://www.myjobchart.com).

He was able to create individual job charts for the kids. When they are done with the job, they log in to their own chart and mark that they have completed it. They are really excited about it. The Dad was also able to create a reward system where each job has so many points assigned to it. When the kids accumulate enough points, they can cash them in at the Job Store.

Story:

One of the jobs on the chart is to have personal scripture study. I know they are probably not reading for a long time, but we are hoping this will get them in the habit of reading themselves in addition to family reading time.

Kelsey seems to be the most excited about the job chart. She always wants to log in to check off her jobs. She may be excited because her jobs consist of brushing her hair, getting dressed, making her bed, saying her prayers, and reading scriptures. She is excited to do all these things BY-HER-SELF. Even reading the scriptures. She has been carrying around a Bible and opening it to read whenever.

This afternoon, she came to me with Hosea chapter 11 open. She pointed to the words then proceeded to tell me...

"Mom, it says here that you need to give me markers to make a puppet with this brown bag."

I figured I should give her the markers to make the puppet since she did receive personal revelation from the scriptures. Who am I to tell her that is not right?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

So funny. Cute girl! And sounds like a great plan. I need that job chart at my house!

Emily said...

Thanks for the tip!! I'm gonna check it out.

and Kelsey is rad!