Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Class distractions

It's that time again. Week 6 of my 9 week class. The time that should be used for last minute research, outline tweaking, and the start of the rough draft for the final paper. Time that if spent wisely would result in a better final grade. But since that is what I am supposed to be doing - of course I have found something else entirely different to spend my time.

Yesterday was Jason's first day of work (and he really enjoyed it!!). I found myself with no one to talk to except for Kelsey and Renni. Not the most intelligent conversation, but at least I am not talking to myself. While they were playing nicely on the floor, I thought I would take the time to clean out the two cupboards above the bar-counter. I have been thinking about this for a while and decided it was time to just get it done. These two cupboards had become the "junk draw" of the kitchen.
Then I had a thought about a cabinet left over from closing Jason's office. I wanted to know if it would fit under the stairs to create more storage in the kitchen. I managed to measure and get it moved into place without much fuss.
Now I have the cupboard empty and new storage under the stairs - the next thought was - "What need do I have for this cupboard anymore?" Good question. Jason checked in with me at one point in the afternoon by texting me. I texted back that I was attempting to demo the kitchen. His reply was "SEND PICS!" so I did. The pictures were not scary, but I am sure his mind was racing at the thought of coming home to a demolished kitchen. I tried to take the cupboard down myself, but stripped the screws. So when Jason got home about 5:30, he looked at it and then used the saws-all to cut the screws! It was great. The cupboard came down nice and neat and in one piece. Now my kitchen is open. It was a rather eventful day.

5 comments:

Jeanna said...

Congrats on the new job! That is great news.

My parents had a kitchen cabinet similar to that one that we talked them into taking down. Everyone used to whack their head on the corner of that sucker. It was painful. Plus, you couldn't really see into the dining area from the kitchen with that big honker hanging there. You are going to love the openness of the kitchen.

Sandy said...

Kelsey looks like Sydney. You better get those grandkids here soon before I forget what they look like. Grandma

Becky said...

Dude! Nice job! I like the open-ness of the kitchen and din-dins area. Under the stairs looks pretty good too.

Mom never comments on my blog...you're lucky.

Now quit checking your blog comments and GET BACK TO YOUR SCHOOL WORK!!!

Kathy said...

Looks great!

Julie J. said...

Kelsey looks like she is plotting evil plots in the picture with her face showing. I'm sure she was just feeding of your energy. I picture you laughing maniacally as you tried to get those cupboards down.